Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Thoughts on Cam

I have written and rewritten a blog post discussing the Cam Newton saga. I just can’t seem to finish it because I get to angry or because new mud is slinging so fast I can’t stay on top of it. Until I get to the point that I can finish it, these are the thoughts that keep coming to my head.

Cam Newton had some legal issues at UF regarding a laptop. The charges were ultimately dropped and Cam has admitted this mistake, even openly discussing it in the media which in my opinion took a lot of courage. Since that issue was resolved at UF he has transferred to Blinn College. He states that this was because of his role on the team. New reports today cite “sources” at UF stating he was in academic difficulty. After Blinn he was recruited by Auburn and MSU. He ultimately arrived at Auburn. Allegations have arisen that a former MSU player asked MSU for money in return for Cam’s agreement to play for MSU. No one has accused Auburn or Cam Newton of any wrongdoing in relation to his recruitment.

The above are the facts as we know them. I do not know if the reports regarding academic difficulty are true. I do not know if the MSU allegations are true. I do not know what his academic record at UF has to do with anything of any relevance in November 2010. I do know this - I work every day with college students. I was once a college student. College students make mistakes and are often given 2nd chances. I believe that young people deserve a 2nd chance IF they are willing to learn from their mistakes and move forward with integrity.

What I also know is that this year Cam Newton has been and continues to be an EXCELLENT representative of my alma mater and employer. I do not personally know Cam, but he has admitted mistakes, and has learned from them. He carries himself with class on the field, in the media, and through his actions in the community. I cannot speak to his work in the classroom because this would be a violation of all kind of laws if someone were to tell me this or if I were to repeat anything I do know. Therefore from the evidence I have it seems that Cam Newton has learned from mistakes is moving forward a new man. I have no evidence whatsoever to indicate he has done anything wrong since his time at UF. If evidence is revealed to disprove the above statements I will be the first to admit that I am wrong and will place blame where it is due.

However, given his recent body of work, I believe it is a shame that a young man who has up to this point done what we all ask of people seeking a second chance is seeing his name, his parent’s name, and his university’s name drug through the mud. The perception I have of the latest events is that it would have been better for Cam Newton to not work hard to recover from his past and to simply slip into the unknown. I only wonder as I mentor college students, what I am to say regarding mistakes, recovering from these mistakes, and moving forward to be a professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment