Saturday, January 8, 2011

Baking Part II

After I posted about my afternoon of baking a few people emailed and asked me some questions about it.  One question was, 'how do I find the time to do this'?  Answer - I just make it a priority and do it.  I made my menu a few weeks ahead of time, did my shopping a week or so ahead of time so that when the day came for baking I was ready to go.  I normally plan out the order I am going to do things so I can do it most efficiently.  I normally do it on a Saturday but this year I took off an afternoon from work (and it was definitely worth it).

Another question asked was a few recipes.  So, here goes...

Chex Mix
*For the most part I follow the recipe on the back of the box.  But, I do my own little variation by adding cheez-its.  You will need:

3 cups Corn Chex® cereal
3 cups Rice Chex® cereal

3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
1/2 can mixed nuts (I use Planters)
4 tablespoons butter or margarine (is that half a stick?  That is what I use.)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (I normally add a splash more)
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt (I normally make this a heaping)
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 box Cheez-its

*Set oven at 250 degrees
*Melt butter in oven (I make this in a cake pan)
*Mix seasonings in pan with butter
*Mix in Chex cereal
*Mix in Cheez-its and nuts

*Bake in 15 minute intervals, stirring/mixing up in between, for one hour.

***Side note - you can buy the cereal at Sam's and it is a little bit cheaper.

Oyster Crackers

I got this recipe from Kelly's Korner - http://kellyskornerrecipes.blogspot.com/ and it is super easy.  You will need:

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (1 ounce) package dry Ranch-style dressing mix
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (12 ounce) package oyster crackers (might as well change this to 14 oz I think.  I just get a box which is a little more than 12 oz)

*Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).



*In a mixing bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, ranch-style dressing mix, dill weed, lemon pepper and garlic powder. Pour this spice mixture over the crackers in a medium bowl, and stir until the crackers are coated. Arrange the crackers on a large baking sheet.


*Bake in the preheated 275 degrees F (135 degrees C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment