Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lundi Gras

Lundi Gras, Fat Monday, is the day before Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras. Nothing really happened on Lundi Gras but since it only comes once a year, I thought it would be fun to write about. I was reading a little bit online about it and apparently it is a really big deal in New Orleans. In Mobile, they just have a few more parades and that is about it.

So, about my Lundi Gras...I went to work; about half of my office was there so it was a very quite day. Some of my coworkers made a real vacation out of Tuesday's holiday by going to Disney World or going to visit family out of town. I think the kids were out of school yesterday and today so you can't really blame them for hitting the road and doing something fun. There were parades going on through out the day yesterday so I was a little afraid that I would get stuck in traffic on my way home. I didn't have any problems and I didn't get lost - wahoo! My boss actually let us off a little early - you gotta love being a government employee.

Last night we went to our last parade of the Carnival season, the Order of Mystic Magnolias, in Fairhope. We were on the front row and had a great time catching whatever was thrown our way. There were tons of kids around us so when got a few of the junky items like the light up rose or the whistle cigar we gave them to the kids around us (we also gave them other stuff that was thrown our way because there is no way we needed all of those beads and cups).


Look at all we got! 4 bags of peanuts, 12 or so cups, 3 frisbees, moonpies, and tons of beads. And as I said before, we gave away about a quarter of our stuff to the kids around us. The Fairhope mystic groups know how to do it! I have no clue what we are going to do with all of this though (other than the pearls - they are going to Christina). Today is Fat Tuesday and there are lots of parades in downtown Mobile. Brad is working from home and I am off from work - we will not be going downtown to participate in the parades today, way too many people. I read that the one we went to Saturday night had close to 90,000 people at it. I can only imagine how many people will be there today.

If you've enjoyed reading about our fun Carnival experiences this year, come visit us anytime next year and we can parade together!

2 comments:

  1. Oops-i thought Brad was at work-I left him a note on his page and told him you would have dinner ready-hey who wants to go out and get in parade traffic? Did Daphne have a parade? I bet you mentioned it and i missed it. You two are having so much fun, I am just going to have come visit and join in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like lots of fun! Plus you got off!! That is awesome! Hate we couldn't make it down last weekend but we will see you in a couple of weeks!! YEA!!

    ReplyDelete