Monday, April 6, 2009

Freedom

Mandisa, from American Idol’s season 5, recently came out with a new album called “Freedom”. Brad and I have never watched American Idol, but Mandisa holds a special place in our hearts. The main reason is this CD; Track 11, “You Wouldn’t Cry (Andrew’s Song)” was written for our friends, Billy, Rebecca and their son, Andrew.

First, let me tell you how special Billy and Rebecca are to us. We met in our Marriage 101 class at Willowbrook Baptist. We sat next to each other and became friends instantly. Brad and Billy could always talk sports, specifically football, and Rebecca and I could talk about anything.


Back to the song...Rebecca has liked Mandisa since she first saw her on American Idol. Last May Rebecca was able to meet her at a concert right before she was scheduled to delivery their first baby, Andrew. Later that week Rebecca went in to what she thought was labor, only to find out that Andrew’s heart had stopped beating (this was 3 days before she was scheduled to be induced). Mandisa heard about this and wanted to put together a CD of songs to comfort Rebecca but she couldn’t find any songs from Heaven’s point of view – and so the song was written.

I found the excerpt below at http://www.gannsdeen.com/2009/03/31/mandisa-you-wouldnt-cry-andrews-song-will-touch-any-grieving-heart/ (isn’t google great!):

"You Wouldn’t Cry is a song that I co-wrote after having a relationship with a woman named Rebecca. Rebecca’s a fan that I met at one of my shows but before I even met her I was able to hear from a friend of hers that she was a big fan and that she was having her first baby and so when I met Rebecca and I was able to put my hands on her stomach and feel the child growing from within her, it just it made me feel connected to her. I have since sort of maintained a friendship with her. The sad news though is that she lost that child. She was scheduled to give birth to the child a week after I met her and three days after I met her the baby was born, stillborn, born early and died within the womb. And so I wrote a song called “You Wouldn’t Cry” that is from Andrew’s perspective, that’s what she named her child.

You Wouldn’t Cry basically is a song comforting his mom. It’s a song saying I know that this breaking your heart, the fact that you don’t have me here anymore but you should see where I am right now and it’s a song saying that this place Heaven that we are all promised to go to as believers, it is more beautiful than we could ever imagine. And shortly after we demoed this song Steven Curtis Chapman lost his daughter and I just feel like this song will minister to a lot of hearts, from people who have lost loved ones and you know there’s a lot of songs I’m excited about but I think this song in particular is one that moves me to my core because of the personal story that’s involved with it."

I believe you can listen to her new album at http://mandisa.sparrowrecords.com/music/?id=1037075 (you may have to search the page a little to figure it out) or you could buy the CD.





Rebecca and Billy are dear, dear friends and I do not believe what I have written explains their story fully. If you would like to know more, please let me know and I will be happy to share. On a fun note, today Billy and Rebecca are in Dallas, TX to listen to Mandisa sing "You Wouldn't Cry" live for the first time. Mandisa is doing a taping for a TV show. When I find out more info. about the TV show I’ll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment