Thursday, March 10, 2011

When Life Gives You Bananas

Make banana bread! 

Bananas are one of Paige's favorite foods.  So, these have become somewhat a staple around the house for the 2 of us to share.  I like bananas but they have to be almost green for me to eat them.  I found that I was having to throw out bananas because I wouldn't eat them once they got to a certain stage and I really didn't want to feed them to Paige if I wouldn't eat them. 

I decided I needed to do something with these extra bananas and decided that anytime I had leftover, over ripe bananas I would make banana bread.  I have only done it twice in the last month but I have really enjoyed being thrifty (and yes, this is thrifty in my mind).

With that, I will leave you with the recipe I use  -

Taken from www.kraftfoods.com.

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened  (I used 1/3 reduced fat)
1/4 cup  (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup  mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 medium bananas)
2 eggs
2-1/4 cups  flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp.  baking soda
**1 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnut Pieces  (I did not use the nuts)
 

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Beat cream cheese, butter and sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add bananas and eggs; mix well. Add combined dry ingredients; mix just until moistened. (Stir in walnuts.)

POUR into greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pan.

BAKE 1 hour 10 min. or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 min.; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely before slicing to serve. Store any leftover bread in refrigerator.  **I baked my last for 55 minutes.

It is very yummy and I am glad I found an easy recipe that I can rely on!




1 comment:

  1. Cream cheese in banana bread? Yum!!! How can that not be good?! I'm definitely trying out this recipe sometime. Paige is so, so precious!

    ReplyDelete