Sunday, June 7, 2009

Engineer Day

I think it is common practice among government agencies to have an annual picnic. We at the Corps have our's around the time of the Corps' birthday (sometime in June) and this year it was Friday, June 5th.

When I found out this was going to be on June 5th I got kind of excited because it meant that I would have every Friday between May 1st and July 17th out of the office.

This was my first picnic with the Mobile District. Here's how it compared to my Huntsville office -

1) Mobile's picnic was on a Friday, Huntsville on a Thurday. I think Huntsville has the right idea. There is no way you could get me out there on my day off. Some of the girls from my office came even though it was their day off, but they had kids and this was more kid-oriented.

2) It took me an hour to drive to the picnic and an hour to get home - not fun! I was about 20 minutes away in Huntsville, definitely more up my alley.

3) Everyone told me that for the Mobile picnic you needed to see the right people then you could leave. I parked next to my big boss (check him of the list) and I immediately saw my boss and team leader (check, check). I stayed about 2 hours...long enough for me. In Huntsville, the day was shorter than a normal work day but I was there longer than 2 hours. Last year I was in charge of games so I was one of the first ones there and one of the last to leave. It was fun and I didn't mind doing it with that group.

4) The Mobile picnic is very kid-friendly. They had lots of inflatable jumpy things, games (like a dunking booth), snow cones, etc. There was also softball and volleyball for the adults but it is kind of hard to really get into it when there are potentially 1300 people participating. In Huntsville we had a few kid games, just enough for the number of kids that came, and we had the adult games of volleyball and horseshoes.

Overall, it was a good day. I got out of work for day so I can't really complain.

Katie (Lauren's sister), Jackson (Lauren's baby), Lauren (my co-worker), Janet (my co-worker)

No comments:

Post a Comment