Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Post-Game Thoughts

It’s a God thing…

When interviewed after the Clemson game, Coach Chizik referred to this win as “a God thing”. As any deranged media member would do, the state and national media listening intently to this interview took offense to this statement and newspaper writers and message board flunkies alike have chosen to criticize this statement.

Let me start by saying that if this is what you find wrong with sports today or if this is what you find to complain about then you have some SERIOUS issues. If you are an Auburn fan and have a problem with your coach referring to this win as “a God thing” then go back and rewatch the first half. I’m sure you will find several things to complain about there.

I noticed that Chiz said something similar last week in the locker room. Then the team gathered together, locked arms and sang “Lean on Me”. While not the best rendition I have ever seen or heard (Mike Dyer was off-key and Ryan Pugh… well he can’t dance) I really liked what I saw. I saw a team just less than 2 years away from being torn apart in many directions coming together in the first sign of team unity since 2004. What was even more evident to me is that they were having fun.

I don’t know exactly what he meant when he said those inflammatory words Saturday night but I can speculate as to what I think he meant (Isn’t free speech great!). In that game we saw a team struggle in the first half, look horrible, get beat off the line, and get bruised and banged up by some very physical play. After halftime and 1 more interception they responded to this adversity by scoring 21 unanswered points. After the offense was done they “leaned” on the defense to keep it close and send it to overtime. This team worked together and hung together as the game went on. I think you saw some players mature, some players improve, and some players just learn what it means to dig down and give just a little bit more when you thought you were done. I can’t say what each player’s motivation was but I can say that staring down adversity and finding a way to defeat it is very often “a God thing”.

No comments:

Post a Comment