Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bootcamp Pilates

I learned today that these 2 words do not go together. Last week Brad and I joined the YMCA. It is only $15 a month (really free for me and $15 for Brad)!! That is awesome compared to what we paid in Huntsville. With this we have access to all of South Alabama's YMCAs. There is one close by my work and there is one in Daphne, so we are good to go.

I thought today I would try a class, Bootcamp Pilates. I did Pilates in Huntsville and it was a lot of fun. We would lay on the role in the beginning, do some breathing exercises, and rarely broke a sweat, but still got a good workout. I figured today would just be a little bit more intense but still Pilates. Boy was I wrong - it was all bootcamp!

A girl from work, Lauren, went with me. In fact, I am the one who suggested going (she normally goes to the spinning class with another girl but she couldn't go today). We walk in, get our mat and some 3 pound weights. The instructor suggested the 3 pound weights since this was our first time. My initail thought was, "I'll try this, but I think I can lift more than that" - ha. Anyway, we see people stretching and hear the instructor talking about kickboxing. Lauren and I both thought, "oh no, we didn't come for kickboxing"; that should have been our clue that pilates was not going to really happen, or at least not the pilates I know. We get started - first shoulders, then squats, biceps, one side of hips/butt, abs, and the finally the other side of hips/butt. Each body section was "sculpted" for a song - oh my goodness, what a workout! We had to leave early to get back to work but they were going to back to abs when we left and who knows what else. It was a great workout (just not what we thought going into it)!! I think we will definitely go back, just with different expectations.

Has anyone else ever had an experience like this?

Tomorrow I am trying Yoga. The schedule calls it "yoga", not "bootcamp yoga", so we will see what it s really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment