Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Moving Through Labor

Brad and I signed up to take the Moving Through Labor class with our hospital. This 4 week class is designed to help you know what to expect during labor. We both went into this with little expectations and really just wanted to learn. I have a feeling I am going to be one of those ladies who have no clue they are in labor. Everyone keeps telling me I will know, but I am just not so sure; Brad and I both joke that he is going to have to deliver the baby in the car.


Each week we cover a couple of different topics and I thought I hit the highlights -


Week 1: Pioneer women had babies all the time with out medicine - ladies, you can do it (which 2 of the mommas in the class are interested in this, me - not so much)!! I am thinking, there is not need for me to be a pioneer woman. They didn't have antibiotics back then either and people died so I am perfectly good with using the medicine God gave us. I am also thankful for the medicine God gave us! No "natural" childbirth coming from this momma! I do not feel like any less of a woman for not going through natural childbirth - this is kind of the teacher implied.


Week 2: Preterm labor was the scare of this week. She gave us all the warning signs for perterm labor then told us how one of her friends lost her baby at 6 months because the friend didn't recognize the signs. Um, that is totally me with not recognizing the signs. Brad reassured me that we are far enough along that if something were to happen it would not be because I didn't recognize the signs. She also talked about c-sections this week and how we should try to avoid them because it may make us less of woman. Whatever!!! If I need a c-section, then we are doing it, no questions asked. My health and Paige's health are what's important, not me feeling more like a woman.


Week 3: Nothing scary!! Instead, we got to watch a wonderful dvd (ha!). This was the wonderful birthing dvd. The couples they find to be in the videos are just crazy. I can not imagine exposing myself like that - there is not enough money in the world for that. After the movie was done one of the fathers-to-be asked about an epidural and the instructor proceeded to say everything would be different. I am glad we spent 30 minutes learning about labor positions I don't plan on using.


Week 4: This week was about getting down to the nitty gritty of c-sections and hospital tour. I guess we learned stuff but I know that if I need a c-section we are going to do it, no questions asked. I think they wanted to go over this so you would be prepared in case you needed one. Mentally, I am prepared for this. The hospital tour was nice. We got to see the nursery, labor/delivery room, triage room, OR, and recovery room. The funny/freaky thing for the night was the huge, ET like light that comes from the ceiling when it is time for the baby to be born. It makes sense that the doctor needs to see but I never imagined this huge light coming from the ceiling.


Other funnies from the class - while we take it serious, we don't at the same time. We have received handouts on things coaches can say while the lady is labor. One of my favorites, that means Brad is NOT allowed to say is, "I am proud of you". Really, "I am proud of you"?? Saying that during labor, I do not think so!! Brad can be proud of me when I get a promotion at work or when I do something else good, being proud of me during labor - I don't think so! Well, he can be proud, he just doesn't have to tell me. We also do this mat time where you learn to breath and relax. The whole thing just cracks me up and I can't take it serious. I am sure these breathing exercises will be nice and helpful when the time comes but I feel so goofy laying on the floor doing this. The relaxing music cracks me up too. The lady always has it playing when we walk in the room. I guess the thought of labor does make me tense up but I just have never been one of those relaxing people. One good thing about mat time was that Brad gave me a back massage. I am now accustomed to my weekly back massage. Even though we didn't have mat time during our last session, I got a modified back massage during the tour - yay!


Overall, the class was good. I feel like we are better prepared, or at least as prepared as we are going to be. Now on to the real thing!

3 comments:

  1. I liked your thoughts!! Another one that bugged me during labor was saying "you are doing good" Really??? I am miserable. I feel like my insides are being ripped out and am in so much pain and I "doing good" Not really!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when I read your post because it is exactly what Brian and I thought about childbirth class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is funny! I briefly thought about pioneering - then jonathan asked me what in the sam hill i was thinking! We missed the childbirth class because of preterm labor. I am here to say that the labor process seemed very natural until the whole c-section. i did it b/c caroline needed to get out asap - and she wasn't going to make the normal way. it was fine except it really wipes you out! i've never had surgery before but i was pretty pooped for the 3 days we were in the hospital. once i got home i was fine & i stopped my pain meds at day 7 thinking they were affecting caroline's lethargy (really it was the dehydration but didn't know at the time!). We are praying for you and baby Paige! I know you cannot wait - they are the most wonderful thing in the world!

    ReplyDelete