Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thoughts on Pregnancy

It is hard to believe my pregnancy is close to being over! I am 36 weeks along and have actually enjoyed (as much as you can) being pregnant. I guess I am just one of those crazy ones. Oh, as a side note - I went to the doctor Friday and I/Paige is already starting to progress. Of course when I got home and read more about it, I read that you could be where I am up until week 40. We went ahead and scheduled an inducement for February 11th. I know some of you are thinking, isn't that kind of early? Well, not when your doctor is going to be out of town the next week! (I will be 38 weeks along and since I am progressing already she said it would be fine.)

The whole experience has not been bad for me. I didn't have any morning sickness, maybe just a few days of not feeling well. I was tired throughout the way, but nothing I couldn't handle. Through in a little heartburn, even when drinking water, and now some swelling, but still nothing too bad and nothing I wouldn't do it again for our sweet litte Paige. I will have to say the hardest part has been the back pain. I had it from the beginning through September and then it came back in December.

Other things I have learned -

1) People will say the oddest things to a pregnant woman. I had someone come to my office on Friday and say, "Whoa, your feet are swollen". Really, you say that to a pregnant a woman? I wouldn't say that to anyone, much less a pregnant woman. "You look like you are getting bigger". That is another comment I have heard. I don't think any woman ever wants to hear that. The only response I can really think of is, "Good, that means the baby is growing". Along the way I was told I looked like I was having twins, it looked like we were going to have a football player, and I just keep looking bigger every time they see me (and this is without any excitement in their voice. I can handle the "big" comments as long as it is with a squeal of excitement.).

2) You can get heartburn from drinking water. Who would've ever imagined?

3) You don't get to eat all the time. In the beginning I was so hungry and couldn't get enough food in me. I was going to eat Brad out of house and home (that is the time to go to a Brazilian steakhouse!). Then, in November I just lost my appetite and didn't have much room for anything. Just last week I got my appetite back (only to learn that Paige has dropped and that totally makes sense). It is nice to have that hungry feeling again. I may try to squeeze in those last few donuts or scoops of ice cream

4) Your lips can stay chapped for 9 months. There is not enough chapstick in the world to keep my lips from staying moist enough. Just when I think they are getting better, I realize they are not.

5) Getting up from the couch or the bed really is hard. It started becoming hard for me back in November and all I could think about was how hard it would be as time went on. Well, it hasn't gotten any easier.

6) Good sleep comes in cycles. I have always been a really good sleeper but I feel like God has been preparing me for lack of sleep throughout the pregnancy. I went through the tired phase, then the I can't sleep phase, then back to the sleeping phase. I am hoping the sleeping phase can hold out until she comes so I will be as rested as I can be when she gets here.

With all of this that I have learned, I am constantly reminded of how she is worth it - she is worth the back pain, heartburn, sleeplessness, all of it - and I can't wait for her to get here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment